Our curriculum provides students with a rich, broad and detailed knowledge of human achievements, an understanding of others and an appreciation of the diverse wider world in which we live. It provides challenge, support and success for all through sequenced programmes of differentiated and diverse opportunities inside and outside of the classroom. At each Key Stage, Faculties tailor their curricula programmes to sequence and embed the knowledge and skills required.
Our curriculum embraces academic and personal development. Its content is:
Ambitious - setting high expectations for young people
Broad - covering a wider range of subjects to suitable depth
Connected – linking ideas and knowledge
We want our students to discover and understand the very best that has been thought and said. To do this we cover the subjects of the national curriculum, which cover five main areas of learning:
- aesthetic, creative and physical
- human and social
- linguistic and literary
- mathematical, technological and scientific
- moral, cultural and spiritual
Our curriculum also prepares young people for their future lives by providing pastoral, vocational and extra-curricular opportunities which develop broader personal skills and values. Our curriculum enables students to become independent, resilient and respectful learners who possess the confidence and aspiration for their next stage of education, training and work.
Our curriculum is organised so that:
- Programmes of study at each key stage do more than just ‘teaching to the test’. Pupils are expected to be curious and work hard at acquiring wider, deeper knowledge of different subjects whilst ‘connecting’ what they know between subjects.
- The timetable is structured into a fortnightly model with five lessons of one hour duration each day.
- The teaching of knowledge, concepts and skills is structured in a way that helps pupils to learn best, including through careful sequencing of content, regular retrieval or ‘interleaving’ of knowledge and assessed application of this knowledge with feedback.
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of the content, delivery and impact of the curriculum on individuals continues to ensure its effectiveness and improve teaching and learning pedagogy.
Full details of our curriculum at each key stage can be found in the following pages.